Friday, December 11, 2009

When Poinsettia met the Frost

For all our friends in the east, yes I know that you normally don't plant any plants outside in October or November. However, this is the most southern part of Texas and even though it is supposed to get down into the low 50's and high 40's, it is not supposed to FREEZE down here. Well, to make a long story short, it actually got below freezing for one night and my poor flowers did not appreciate that one bit.

I had hope for my second poinsettia, but it gave up a couple of days later.

A lot of the small flowery shrubs have died throughout the community and it will be interesting to see what the landscape company is going to do. Since we never had such hard frost down here, I don't know if this plants can recuperate or need to be replaced.

Well, inside the rig all shades have been down for days to keep the heat in, the flannel sheets are on the bed and the thick winter blanket is back on the bed. I had replaced it once with our thinner one since the last blog entry, because it was in the 80's again in the daytime and only low 60's at night. So we defrosted for about three days and now we are back to high 40's and low 50's for overnight temperatures and high 50's in the daytime. They are predicting 80's again for next week. At least we have not gotten sick with all these temperature swings.

I am, however, getting very excited about going back to Germany for the holidays. It is only 10 days away and if I would have my way, we would be all packed already. Since that would drive Doug absolutely nuts, I will wait till Sunday in a week to get all the clothes for Germany together. If it stays this cold, at least we will not have a temperature shock when we get back to my home town. I have decided to take the camera with us and will try to blog from Germany. Since we are there for two weeks, I should find the time to keep you guys updated on our "adventure". Stay warm everybody and we will try to do the same!

0 comments: