Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Home for the Holidays!!!!!

As we were packing a couple of days ago I realized that it had been 17 years since I have been home for Christmas. We had visited a few times over the years and my parents have been to the US several times, but never for Christmas. So this visit was way overdue.

I had been soooo excited for the last few days that by the time we got to the airport in McAllen thanks to Larry driving us, I was tired already. The flight from McAllen was 20 minutes late leaving, but that is really nothing unusual. Flight to Houston was okay and luckily the wait for our next flight was not to long. The flight out of Houston left on time and we were of to our Christmas adventure. The flight turned out more of an adventure than I had hoped for since we hit a lot of turbulence and I was only able to sleep for 2 hours. For people that have never flown oversee, we left McAllen at 3:45 pm on Monday afternoon and arrived in Frankfurt at 12:30 pm Tuesday afternoon. The flight from Houston to Frankfurt ended up being closed to 11 hours.

So we landed in Frankfurt, plane landed just find and then we drove, and drove on the landing strip until I was wondering if the pilot had missed the gate since we kept on going. We were almost at the end of the airport until he finally turned left towards the gates. However, we never made it to the gates. They actually had us board buses to take us to the terminal. This has not happened to me since the 1980's. Come to find out, the had gotten so much snow the night before that the airport had shut down from 11 pm to 3 am so that the cleaning crews were able to clean the runways and so a lot of planes had not left the gates and the whole thing was a mess. To make a long story short, we got our luggage fairly fast and were able to find my parents happily waiting for us outside of customs.

Here are my two most favorite guys in the whole wide world, my dad and my husband, both working on their computers after breakfast this morning.

As you can see we will have a white Christmas unless the sun decides to come out. It is cloudy right now and somewhere right around freezing. Want to see a real traditional German Christmas tree??

Is it not beautiful!!! I still love the more elegant not so overdecorated trees that I grew up with.

Well today we will go to the Christmas market and out for dinner. Tomorrow will be a quiet Christmas eve with my parents and the following two days my sister and more of my relatives will come to visit. So stay tuned and I will try to post a lot as we get to see more over here.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

OHHH! that tree looks AWSOME! Please tell you dad he looks very good! Have fun! Here in NJ we may have a white Christmas too.
Lisa