Sunday, May 11, 2008

Gila Cliff Dwellings

The reason we came to Deming was to see the Gila Cliff Dwellings. So after getting my car's first oil change ( I can't believe we have already over 5000 miles on the little car) we headed for the Dwellings on Thursday. It is about 98 miles and we were told that it would take us at least 2 - 3 hours. I kind of doubted it myself, but did not say anything. We took 180 north to Silver City and then continued on 15 to the Cliffs. The signs saying that no RV over 20' were allowed on the road should have been a hint. I have never seen so many tight turns on a pretty much one lane road with no center line. Every curve I kind of wonder if somebody was coming towards us or not. I am glad we took the small car and Doug had a blast with all the switchbacks. We certainly got rewarded by some beautiful views as we drove along.

And as we are going about 25 m/h for the last 44 miles, Garmin kept changing our arrival time. By the time we finally got there it was well worth the time spent getting there. It was a leisurely walk uphill for about 30 minutes and then you could see the dwellings.


You would think that these dwellings would be protected from the wind, snuggled nicely into the mountain. Well, you would be wrong. The wind was quite strong in the caves.

We crawled around the cliffs for a while and headed back to Deming.

0 comments: