Sunday, May 11, 2008

Deming, NM

We have been in Deming since Monday and are staying at the Dream Catcher RV Park. After being in State Parks for a while, we were slightly spoiled by not having any highway or railroad noise. Well, you can't have it all. It is either the quite at the State Park without full hook-ups or the noise that is supposed to lull you to sleep with full hook-ups. Deming has been interesting in the sense that it is so qualm here in the morning and by afternoon you can watch the dirt devils moving around outside the window. I had never seen signs on the highway actually warning you about this dirt devils and was slightly freaked out when Doug drove through my first one without ever slowing down. I think I would have hit the breaks and they say that you should not do that.

We have also decided to stimulate the economy with our tax money and purchased a Garmin GPS system for my car. I just love it. Finally I know when we have to turn, how long we have to our final destination and it even has a build-in MP3 player. It is pretty cool and we did our duty as good American citizens.

We visited the Gila Cliff Dwellings, which will be its own entry, and went to the museum here in town. I have never seen so much interesting junk in one place. The building used to be an armory in the World War II.

There was so many different things, from the military uniforms to the class reunions from the Luna Club to a very cool collection of about 100 unique old whiskey bottles in various shapes and sizes. A first I thought these were just porcelain statues of animals, sports heroes, different countries, until Doug pointed out the tax stamp on all these bottles. The museum was definitely worth seeing and I would recommend it to anybody passing through Deming. And then we had to of course sample the wine at the local vineyard. We will be moving on north tomorrow.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

And exactly how much wine did you sample? HMMMMMM.......
Lisa