Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hitting the Big One!!

I turned 50 this last Saturday. Throughout the week I have been teased about going to be half a century old and it got me thinking about my life until now. I have to say that I have never been happier and more at ease with myself and the world since we started RVing. Turning 50 is really not a big deal and I can easily say bring it on, because I'm having a blast.

Doug and my girlfriends here at Retama organized a very nice potluck on Saturday to celebrate my birthday, a neighbor of Bonnie and Gail's birthday (same day as mine) and a kind of going away party for Dale and Mark, who left for the summer yesterday.


We had a very relaxing happy hour with all our friends and started grilling about 5 pm. We all brought a dish to share and there was plenty of food for everybody.

And then came the BIG surprise for me!. We have an ongoing debate about a "German Chocolate Cake" sold over here in the US. German Chocolate Cake here has a coconut flake frosting and as I keep telling everybody, there is no such thing in Germany. Well, for my birthday I got my German chocolate cake, which did not have coconut flakes on it and they actually spelled my name correctly. That is not something I take for granted here. :-)

All in all we had a great day and now it is back to getting ready for leaving here in about two weeks to start our workcamping adventure this summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm - this really does not look like a German cake at all ;-))))
I'll sent u a pic Jutta or better google !!!! sorry, but I can't quit laughing - but a very nice gesture by your friends *
yo half a century - sounds strange, doesn't it ??? but another half ( almost ) to go ;-)))
your sis

Mike McFall said...

Happy Birthday,,, I wish I was 50again,,,my son is 55....

Hope you live another 50...Life begins at 75....

Cheers