Friday, April 29, 2011

Zion National Park

Zion National Park is just stunning. I really like the free shuttle system they have, since it allows Doug to also look around without having to watch were he is going.


I was so fascinated with all the different colors of the cliffs. It was so beautiful.



As you can see in the last picture, the sky was getting a little bit dark, but we were not worried yet. We decided to take Route 9 towards Route 89 and see some more of Zion, which is not viewable with the shuttle bus.

It was well worth the drive. The colors of the rocks are just so amazing.



So far so good, the weather seemed to stay to our east on Route 89 and we were going to go west on Route 14.

I saw the sign that said that the top was at 10,000 feet, but I don't think it really registered with me what was about to happen. First we just saw snow on the side of the road, the road itself was still dry.

Then, it started snowing a little bit and it started to stick on the road.

Yet, we are still climbing and I am getting worried. Our car does not have four wheel or all wheel drive, but Doug kept telling me that it would be okay. By the time we got to the summit the road was completely covered with snow, I am to nervous to take anymore pictures and Doug decided to put the car into manual drive, since the engine will act as a brake. We actually had to pass two cars, since they were going way to slow on the downhill. By the time we got to the bottom of the mountain the defrost was running on high, there was ice on the windshield and our license plate was covered with snow.

It sure was an adventures day and I was glad when we got back to the rig.

0 comments: