Sunday, March 13, 2011

Work, Work, Work

Well, we are coming to the end of our season down here in Texas and that means, we start making sure that the rig and truck is all road worthy. Last week Doug went underneath the rig to check out the suspension and replace some bolts with wet bolts. Well, that was the plan until he got under there to see that nothing has rusted yet and the Mor-Ryde system is different than what he had thought and we don't have the tools to replace the bolts. In my opinion we will just leave things that are not broke or not in need of repair alone and keep monitoring them.

The truck did get a new exhaust stack. I should have taken a picture of the one they took of, but of course I forgot the camera. The stack is held on by three metal straps and there were rusted holes on every one of these three straps. I am amazed the stack held on as long as it did.

So Friday I went up on the roof, since we had decided to install a Maxxvent cover over the toilet room fan. We did not like the way it sat on there, tried it on the bathroom fan to realize that you can't open the fan all the way anymore if you have this cover on. The function of the cover is to prevent rain from coming in and you can leave the fan open while driving down the road and get some air circulating throughout the rig. We did not like the way it was going to work and decided again install the cover.

But, while I was up there I took a look a the tape that covers the seams along both sides of the rig. Now I have to say that ever since our friends Donna and Grant had to replace part of their slide walls and the roof of the slide because of water damage that they had not know of, I have become a little bit worried and have looked very closely at areas that could have water coming in. The seals are still in pretty good shape, but I saw the tape lift up a couple of millimeters in a couple of spots. So Doug went out and got me sealant in a tube and I laid a nice bead of sealant along the edge of the tape.

Yesterday we washed the truck so that it is pretty much ready to go. Next will be the rig and then we just need to pack up our stuff again. I have to admit that with climbing up and down the roof a few times and washing the truck yesterday, which has to be done partially by ladder, my poor body is somewhat achy and sore, so it will be a day for relaxing for me.

0 comments: