Sunday, April 26, 2009

FEMA

Remember Hurricane Katrina at the end of August in 2005? The Federal Emergency Management Agency bought a whole bunch of travel trailers and mobile homes to give to the people that lost their homes along the coast in this horrible storm. I got to see something on Wednesday on the way to Murfreesboro that I never thought I would see.



Apparently this is a staging area for FEMA. Now the hurricane happened almost 4 years ago and these trailers and mobile homes are just sitting there. I understand that people were complaining that some of them have a chemical smell in them and we have been in rigs were our eyes burn from the formaldehyde in the air, but these rigs could be aired out and could be used. They have been sitting there since 2005 and are just rotting away. What a waste of our money!!!

I could not believe the vast amount of rigs there was. I was curious enough to go to Google Earth and check it out. This is what I found.

What we saw from the highway was just a fraction of what really is there. A couple of weeks ago we saw a report on the evening news about people having lost their homes in the LA area and were living in a tent town. I am sure this in going on all over the country and there is FEMA in Hope, AR and has all these trailers just sitting around. And who knows how many more staging areas there are around the country. Our government agencies really need to work together better to stop all this waste, specially since so many people have fallen on hard times. It just breaks my heart!

0 comments: