Friday, December 21, 2007

Carlsbad Caverns

Doug and I have seen a lot of caverns over the years and we always like Luray Caverns in Virginia the best with its beautiful rock formations, which are also very colorful. Then we went to Carlsbad Caverns. You can do a self guided tour walking down into the caverns for one mile.


I am claustrophobic and starting to walk into this dark hole took some courage, but again, we are on an adventure and what did I have to loose, Doug is with me. It was really dark in the caverns, so most of me pictures did not come out, which is to bad.



We walked one mile pretty much straight down, which took us about 1 1/2 hours. The caverns are breathtaking and so humongous. So we get down there thinking we reached the bottom to find out that there is another 1 1/2 miles of caves to explore going pretty much lateral. We took the elevator back up to the top for lunch and then came back down for the other 1 1/2 miles. The caves were beautiful, but the sore muscles in my legs for the next four days made me wonder many times why we did the second half of the caves.

0 comments: