Sunday, November 2, 2008

Heading South for the Winter

I know it has been a while since I have posted to our blog, but we have been so busy since we left Hutchinson, KS. Well, actually it has been so long that I had to go back into the blog to see were I left off.

We spend a couple of days in Thackerville, OK, which is about 5 miles from the Texas border. We arrived late Saturday afternoon and found a spot in the campground were our friends could park next to us. We were pretty much the biggest rig in the park until three of our friends, who also had been at the rally in Hutchinson, joined us Sunday afternoon. It was a lot of fun seeing them pull in and we had to have "Happy Hour" as soon as they were set up. After spending the last six month pretty much by ourselves, it has been really good to spend time with our friends again. Gail and Bonnie left on Monday morning and the rest of us decided to leave on Tuesday morning to head on south on our different destinations. In the end we will all end up in Mission sooner or later.

We had decided to go on to Austin to visit with Doug's dad for about a week before heading south for the winter to Mission. Everything went well through for Fort Worth and our first stop was south of Fort Worth at a rest area. We have had some drizzle and Doug just mentioned that his windshield needed a good downpour to be clean again. If he ever says that again, I will smack him. It did not take 10 minutes and we go into a downpour so bad that I could not see the rig anymore. Going 45 m/h and having my emergency flashers on, I fought my way through the rain as I am being passed by the big trucks, who of course dump more water on me as they pass me. Luckily the rain only lasted about 15 minutes and it cleared up again. We went through two more short downpours before we finally reached Austin about 3 pm. We had stayed south of Austin last fall and decided to go back to that campground in the hill country of Texas.

It was such a nice feeling to walk into a campground and they actually have you in their computer already. It makes checking in so much faster :-).

0 comments: