Thursday, June 3, 2010

Tornado Watch

People that live in the mid-west are very familiar with the tornado watches that occur pretty much throughout the summer. Well, it was my first one and I really did not know what to do. Should we pack up some stuff to be ready to head for the shelter, or just stay put? Doug just gave me "the look" and told me that he was watching the local channel on TV to make sure we would not miss any announcement for us to find a shelter. Actually there are a few shelters in the campground and they will sound a siren should we need to leave the rig. In the end we just had a very severe thunderstorm with heavy rain, which was a lot better than the hail they had south of us, and there was a tornado touchdown about 100 miles south of us. I guess I will have to get used to the weather up here and just be watchful.

Doug and I have been working full time now for almost two weeks and I have to say that he made the better choice with working in rides. He has a clear schedule of which ride he is on for the whole week and is advised of it in advance. I get my schedule in advance with my starting times for the following week, however, I never know where I work until I report to work in the retail office that day, which also means I don't know how long I work that day. I assumed that you always work until the park closes, however, the water rides in the park close one to two hours before the rest of the park and the retail stores that are associated with these rides close at the same time then the ride and you get send home. It makes it a little bit difficult to carpool with Doug, when I don't know how long I work on a daily basis. Once Doug's arm is better and he will ride his bike to the park it will not matter anymore, but right now it is somewhat annoying. Interestingly enough I am not the only one in our group that is unhappy about the way things are run in retail. Unfortunately, I don't think that there is much I can do about this and I am sure this will pass. If we do come back next year, I definitely will not work in retail again.

Other than that, we are doing fine. :-)


0 comments: