Tuesday, August 11, 2009

On the move again

We had a 250 mile drive ahead of us on Monday to get to Reno, NV. Leaving the valley on Route 20 was a small challenge, since they had construction, which meant one lane driving and we got stuck between 2 construction areas for about 45 minutes. That was not a good start to the day, but we finally made it to I-5 and went on our merry way. Everything went well through Sacramento and we switched to I-80 heading east. I knew that there was construction and in the beginning it really was not that bad. We moved through the construction areas without any major slowdowns and the truck pulled fine through the mountains.

We had about 70 miles left on I-80 when I saw the sign saying "no trucks over 9 feet wide". I really did not think much about it until we reached the cement barriers and I realized that we are 102 inches wide and they had said nothing over 108 inches wide. I can not describe how difficult it is to watch your home in front of you, when it is about 6 inches away from the cement barriers on each side. Doug called it the luge!! He knew about it, but chose not to tell me, which in hindsight was probably a good thing. It felt like the three mile stretch was never going to end, but Doug did a fantastic job of keeping the truck and rig in the center and never hit anything. It took my heart another 20 miles to finally settle back down!!

0 comments: