Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Boone Hall Plantation

I have seen my first plantation.The driveway with these huge, majestic oak trees covered by Spanish moss was just incredible. We learned about plantation and slave history, which was also very interesting.




Then we decided to tour the plantation house. Inside I began to wonder how old the furniture really was until somebody actually asked and our tour guide said "Oh, the original house was destroyed by a fire, the second house by a flood, the third house by a hurricane and this is actually the fourth time this house was built." There went my romantic notion from standing in a part of history. The last time the house was rebuilt was 1935 by the Canadian owner. Oh well, there will be other plantations. I was so disappointed that I did not even take a picture of the house. I just wonder if there is any that are actually the original building. We did have a good time in Charleston and on Monday went on to other adventures.

0 comments: